Monday, June 16, 2008

Doria Pamphilj Gallery


One of the reoccurring themes in my blogs has been Doria Pamphilj. If you want to learn more about her, check my previous blogs! Anyway, in the same Palazzo as my school (Palazzo Doria Pamphilj) there is an art gallery called Doria Pamphilj Gallery. There is an entrance fee of 8 Euros (5 for students) which is a great deal! According to our guidebook, there are hundreds of pieces of art in this gallery, including works by Titian, Caravaggio, Lorenzo Lotto, Guercino and Claude Lorrain. One of the things that would be interesting to see is the portrait of Pope Innocent X Pamphilj by Velaquez. I think people would be interested in seeing this because this is the Pope that cause so much controversy by letting Doria Pamphilj "rule" the Vatican. There is also an amazing sculpture of Doria Pamphilj. Also, I would be interested in going to this museum because this is the same woman that used to own the old convent that I live in. Small world. I have included a picture of the inner courtyard of the gallery.. enjoy : )

No comments: