Sunday, June 1, 2008

Visiting Vicenza


I got to spend an entire weekend with my family! I went up to Vicenza which is in northern Italy to spend some time with my cousins Rich and Angelita. They moved to this area about three years ago. We had an amazing time! It was so nice to get a little taste of home while I'm so far away. When I went up there, I actually had an assignment to read Juggling the Stars by Tim Parks. This book actually takes place mostly in Vicenza and Verona which is about 30 minutes from my cousins house. It was interesting to learn about some of the places like Romeo and Juliet's castles in the book, then actually seeing them with my cousin. It's important to understand that the two castles in Vicenza are the "summer castles" of Romeo and Juliet. The ones they lived in are in Verona. (I've included a picture of the view of Vicenza from the top of Juliet's summer castle.)My professors have been telling me that the next book we're reading, Italian Neighbors (also by Tim Park,) will go more in depth with the Vicenza. I'm really excited to read it now that I've seen some of the Vicenza area.

1 comment:

Ginnie said...

Hi, I came across your blog while researching Vicenza. My son and I will be staying for a week in Florence, starting Nov. 8th. He is an architect and very interested in the works of Palladio so we are excited to plan a day in Vicenza. My question to you is do you know if it is possible to see the different sights without belonging to a tour. Neither one of us likes the restrictions of tours but we want to make sure we can get to see most of what is there.
Thanks for any advice you can give me. Ginnie