Sunday, June 22, 2008

Mopeds.. in Gimmelwald?


This past weekend, three of my classmates and I went to Switzerland. On our second day in the country, we decided to go to a tiny town tucked away in the Alps called Gimmelwald. To get to this town, you had to take three difference trains, a bus, then a gondola (a huge cable car) to the top of the mountain. All of this traveling time is totally worth is because during it all, you're going through the heart of the Alps! Once you reach Gimmelwald, you realize that this is a "town" of only 130 people. There aren't televisions, newspapers... there isn't even a food store. Another thing that Gimmelwald doesn't have? CARS! No mopeds, cars, trucks.. nothing! Automobiles are not allowed in the town. The only people who have any kind of vehicles are farmers who get special permits to have tractors and stuff! I couldn't believe this until I saw a "road sign" that measure everything in how long it would take you to walk there. Thank God I brought my sneakers! I've included a picture of the hostel I stayed at and some of the view along with another picture of the street signs. Enjoy : )

No comments: