Thursday, June 12, 2008

Police in Barcelona


On my trip to Barcelona this past week, I noticed that they have a great deal of police officers constantly patrolling the streets. Although they don't have posted guard points like in Rome, there is a constant patrol on the streets of Barcelona. Although there are a lot of police officers patrolling, things like prostitution and drug dealing are a very large epidemic plaguing this beautiful city. I happened to be able to get a picture of two police officers right before they started yelling at me in Spanish to stop taking their picture. The police officers in this picture are the Mossos d'Esquadra which according to wikipedia.com is "the police force of Catalonia" and is "one of the oldest civil police forces in Europe. Some of their duties are "to handle terrorism, identity documents, immigration and other limited matters which the central government retains competences on."

1 comment:

Whoami said...

Hi! I'm one of them. I'd like to add that they were yelling at you in "catalĂ ". This is the language of Catalonia, it has the same latin origin than the spanish or the italian.
I hope that you were pleased with the security provided.
We are always happy to serve kind people, like you seem to be.
Turn when you want! Bye, bye!