Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Strange Sounds


There are a lot of new noises that I had to get used to when I first came to Rome. All of the sirens for ambulances, police and firetrucks are completely different here. Being from a tiny town in western Pennsylvania, I had to get used to the noise of constant traffic at all hours of the night. I also had to get used to the fact that 99% of the conversations going on around me were in a language that I did not understand in the least bit. One of the strangest noises I've had to get used to, however, is a shrill alarm that goes off every time the wind blows extra hard or if the rain really starts to pound down during a storm. The foreign shrill noise? Moped alarms. Believe it or not, these hyper-sensitive alarm systems are on nearly every moped. There apparently is a big demand for security systems on mopeds which makes sense because they would be really easy to hot wire! I've included a picture of a nice seafoam green moped I saw on the way to class this morning. Enjoy : )

No comments: