Thursday, May 22, 2008

Chillin with the Pope



The class went to the Vatican today. It was really easy to get there from my apartment, all we had to do was follow the river North. I unfortunately got horrible blisters on the walk there because I decided to not wear good shoes. Smart on my part. We went in to the Vatican around 10:00 and there was hardly a line. When we came out, the line wrapped the entire way around the Piazza San Pietro! When I first walked into the Vatican, it took my breath away. This is something that, as a Catholic, I have always wanted to see. It was such a spiritual and emotional experience that it was almost overwhelming. One of the first pieces of art that I noticed was the Pietà. My guidebook states that this amazing marble sculpture was done by Michelangelo in 1499 when he was only 25. In 1972, a disturbed man walked in to the Vatican with a hammer and began destroying the sculpture. After it was restored, it was put behind glass for protection(you can see the reflection from the glass in this picture.) The next place that I went was a sanctuary that holds the Tabernacle. My guidebook says that this was made by Bernini and is made of gilt bronze in the shape of a temple. This amazing chapel was so peaceful and prayful. I actually prayed there and it was moving. You also were not allowed to take and pictures so I don't have anything to document this moving place. The next amazing work of art that I noticed was the Baldacchino. My guidebook says that this was made in 1624 and is a huge extravagant canopy. It truly is beautiful and holds an amazing altar underneath. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to go near the Baldacchino because there was some type of service going on. I still got some great shots though! There were a lot of chapels and altars to different saints, too many to list here. I will include the picture of the Altar of the Transfiguration of Christ. This was one of my favorite paintings because it portrays Christ in such a moving and powerful way. I enjoyed the artwork in the Vatican and I plan on going back soon so I can visit all the museums and the Sistine Chapel!

1 comment:

Anna said...

Dude these pictures are pritty cool