Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Reading up on Mopeds


I wanted to learn a little more about mopeds in relation to Rome so I decided to check out what our Eyewitness Guide to Rome said. One of the most common types of mopeds is a Piaggio Vespa, which means 'wasp' and is named for the sound mopeds make. The book said that these mopeds are great for getting through traffic, which I have witnessed firsthand! At a red-light, the mopeds often times will weave their ways through cars just so they can get to the front of the line. Sometimes they don't even wait for the light to change to green before they take off... they just make sure no one is in there way! The book also said that it is required by law to wear a helmet here while on a moped. I can honestly say that I have not noticed one person NOT wearing a helmet. It's probably because driving them here is so dangerous!! The picture that I posted is of a Roman on a moped whizzing by on the street that is below my window. You can tell he's wearing a helmet!!

No comments: