Thursday, May 29, 2008

Prada on the Bridge

My classmate Courtney and I were walking home from a field trip to La Sinagoga di Lungotevere de'Cenci, which is a synagogue in the old Jewish quarter in Rome. We were walking over the Ponte Fabricio (the bridge we cross to get home) when I noticed a street vendor. He is normally on this bridge about two or three times a week in the mornings. He always has a bunch of knock-off Prada purses on display on a large towel that he puts on the ground. As we were walking by, Courtney and I stopped because I wanted to look at one that I always stare at on my way to school in the mornings. As soon as we stopped, the vendor ran up to us and asked if we wanted to know the price of a specific one. I pointed to a cute little square shaped yellow one. The conversation then went as follows:

Vendor: Twenty-five Euro
Me: Um.. I don't have any money on me right now
Vendor: OK.. twenty Euro
Me: Are you going to be here tomorrow? I seriously have no money
Vendor: OK.. fifteen Euro

-At this point it was clear that this man had no idea what I was saying to him-

Me: Uh.. I have no money?
Vendor: OK.. ten Euro!
Courtney: Here Allison, just buy the purse!


I honestly had no money on me, that's why Courtney let me borrow ten Euro. It was
hilarious because apparently we have amazing haggling skills and we don't even know it. Although the purse was clearly made in China, I wouldn't trade in this experience (or the purse) for anything!

No comments: