Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Palazza Doria Pamphili

I found out a little more information about the woman who used to own my apartment (Donna Olimpia Pamphili.) Apparently she used to own the building that our classroom is in too! It's called Palazzo Doria Pamphilj. I don't know why the last letter is a "J" but I have seen this last name written with both a "J" and an "I". According to our guidebook, the old parts of this building date back to 1435. There are two courtyards and a gallery inside. The gallery holds over 400 paintings from the 15th to the 18th century. There is also a portrait of Pope Innocent X and the sculpture of Donna Olimpia Pamphili that I posted before. I definitely want to look at that gallery for myself and get some of my own pictures of that sculpture!! I'm posting a picture of our building that I found online at http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Pigna_-_piazza_Collegio_romano_e_palazzo_Doria_Pamphili_1000422.JPG. Our classroom is on the left side on the first floor. It looks like there are white things in the windows. Those are actually shutters that are on the inside. They use those instead of blinds or curtains. I think it's really interesting to learn about this woman and what she did during her time in Rome. I feel like that will give me a better understand of my apartment.

No comments: