Friday, May 23, 2008

Pope Cops


In my recent trip to the Vatican, I noticed that although the Vatican has normal security guards and police patrolling around Vatican City, they also have something called the Papal Swiss Guards. Wikipedia.com says that "Swiss Guards is the name that has been given Swiss mercenary soldiers who have served as bodyguards, ceremonial guards, and palace guards at foreign European courts from the late 15th century to present day." I actually got to experience these guards first hand because while I was there, I wanted to exchange cash for Euros and mail out some postcards. Unfortunately, all of these types of buildings were closed in Vatican City. I asked one of the Swiss Guards why. Thankfully he spoke decent English and was able to tell me that it was because of a festival, which I'm thinking he meant that it was a feast day so everything was closed. I'm posting a picture because I feel like everyone needs to see these uniforms. Don't they look like the Joker from a deck of cards? In a totally kind and respectful way though!!

No comments: