Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Pantheon


Today, we took a field trip to the Pantheon today which is actually about a block or two away from our classroom in the Piazza Della Rotonda. Although I had already been to the Pantheon when we first got to Rome, I was exited to check out some of the things that I hadn't known about before. For instance, the artist Raphael is buried at the Pantheon. There is an entire shrine to him on one part of the wall. I also noticed something pertaining to my theme of police at the Pantheon too. I noticed today (but not the first time I was there) that there were posted gaurds at some of the shrines around the Pantheon. I don't know if they were actually police or just hired security, but I found it interesting that there was a need for some type of policing at this historical site. I didn't get a picture of the gaurds, but I did get a picture of Raphael's tomb.

No comments: