Saturday, May 17, 2008

History of my Homestead

So I've been doing more research on the place that I'm living, Santa Maria in Cappella. Turns out this place DOES have a pretty amazing history. According to Wikia.com, "The church was built about 1090, and was used by the merchant community of the port. In the 15th century, it was taken over by the Guild of Barrelmakers". I can't believe that this place is literally hundreds of years old. I mean, I guess it makes sense because we're in Roma, but still.. it's crazy.


Also according to Wikipedia, "The garden behind the church was turned into a riverside playground in the 17th century by Donna Olimpia Pamphili, Pope Innocent X's sister-in-law. In 1860, her descendants decided that a home for the elderly was more needed than a garden. This was first home for the elderly in Rome, and still functions as this today". It's just crazy to me that the same courtyard that I can see from our terrace was used for hundreds of years. Oh yeah.. the old people here are pretty cute.

1 comment:

ryguy8708 said...

ill be corny and agree with your topic ally. hahaha. interesting homestead you stay in. gooood job with the blog, post more pix.