Saturday, May 17, 2008

Three Types of Cops

I looked up some information on the police in my "Eyewitness Travel Guide for Rome." Apparently Rome has three different types of police. The first type is the vigili urbani, or the municipal police. Their most common job is to direct traffic. I also think these might be the cops that sit in the booths that I was talking about before. The next type is the carabinieri, who are the military police that "do everything from dealing with fine-art thefts and traffic violations". The third type is la polizia, who are the state police. The book doesn't say exactly what their job is, but all three types are willing to help you when you visit Rome : ) I'm going to post a picture of one of the police cars that I saw at the police celebration yesterday.

No comments: